Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lady Bountiful Shakes the Plum Tree





Here I am picking red plums in the old orchard
This year we had a wonderful harvest of red plums from a couple of old trees.  And why was that?  I think it was because our neighbors are raising honey bees.  I had so many red plums, I was giving them away to neighbors.


And then it occurred to me that maybe the Post Falls Food Bank would take some.  The woman at the other end of the line said they would be delighted.  And so was I.  So I filled two boxes.



And made my delivery today.  I was glad the young woman came out to haul them in because I was still achy  from picking the rest yesterday.

Young woman at Post Falls Food Bank
And there they go to good homes
I was so inspired, I came home and started on the Italian prunes.

A bear had shaken the tree and broken off a good size branch, scattering prunes around beneath.  I might have even frightened it when I drove down the hill.  I managed to get most of the rest of the prunes with my picker. So, now I look forward to another delivery to the Food Bank.  And then it's on to the apples.

2 comments:

  1. What bounty--such a gorgeous sight. And good for you for donating them--you will make some people very happy. Have you every read anything by Sue Hubbell? I think you would like her work. She writes wonderful books about country life, and has a dry style that I think would appeal to you. She raises bees, which is why I thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read Sue Hubbel's first book on raising bees and gave a copy to my bee-raising bees a few months ago when I found it in a charity shop for $1.00.

      Delete