Monday, February 18, 2013

A Lady's Bath - or, the Cat Room






I decided that I'll never finish changing the decor of my bath, so I might as well give a little tour now. Had I realized how large it would be, I would have pulled in the wall to make the guest room behind it large, but - oh well.



During the summer, while the house was being built, we picked out this wonderful marble for the vanities, called Rainforest Brown. It comes from the marble quarries of Rajasthan in western India, the same area that the Taj Mahal marbles come from (that particular quarry long depleted).  the serpentine striations in the marble inspired me to weave my own frame for the mirror, using willow, hawthorn and elderberry from our property. I'm rather pleased with the result, but Geordie, pictured, does like to chew on the corners. Here's a close-up of the marble.


I love my deep soaking tub.  It's here many of my writing ideas take form as I allow my body and mind to relax in a bubble bath.  Scenes and dialogue float into my mind, much like watching a movie.


I wanted a shelf above my tub for special things.

The shelf was a house-warming gift from our carpenter neighbor, Davy.


Since it's my personal bath, I can decorate the walls however I like. Original prints and images printed off the Internet, mostly of cats.  Not my erstwhile cats (that would only make me sad), but cats I've never known, but would like to.


I believe this and the next one are by Louis Wain


Geordie must always be the center of attention.



But other images decorate the walls. Little old things found in charity shops that I thought would like to live with me.


This wooden heart must have been made and hand-painted for a special woman many years ago.



And these pressed flowers in their old original frame.


A small silk weaving made in England for the tourist trade.

I have more wall space left --above this second vanity that fits behind my tub and in the toilet stall with its sliding door and across from the shower stall.




So many walls to adorn, and years to do it in, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's fabulous! I love everything about it. The marble is gorgeous, stunning. And your frame is wonderful. I adore all the cat pictures. It looks so warm and comfortable and inviting. And am I right in remembering that it is your bathroom (you don't have to share it)? Sweet!

    ReplyDelete